The Best place into the wild of Urals!

Socials:

+7 (922) 123-99-40

Main office:

620075, Bazhova str. 75a, Ekaterinburg, Russia

Contact us:

Логотип Турбаза Чусовая

+7 (922) 123-99-40

Логотип Фирма ЮТ

Park-Hotel Chusovaya official web-site

About Chusovaya tourist center

Park-hotel “Chusivaya” is located on the left bank of the Chisovaya Rriver next to the village Sloboda (by the year 1987 it had been called Kourivskaya after the name of the nearest railway station).

The tourist center is situated on a high rock named Dog Ribs. It is the first tourist center in the Urals rebuilt from an old leather plant. It was opened on 29 October 1934. From 1941 to 1945 it hosted a military hospital for soldiers wounded in the Great Patriotic War. Nowadays the tourist center is one of the biggest ones in the Urals and it is open all the year round.

 

 

The Chusovaya river is the left side feeder of the Kama, one of the largest and the most beautiful rivers in the Urals. It flows through three regionds: Chelyabinsk, Sverdlovsk and Perm. The source of the river is in the North of Chelyabinsk oblast, its mid-channel twice winds through Sverdlovsk and Perm oblasts and it finishes its way at the city of Perm in the Kama water storage. The length of the river is 777 km, the square of the river basin is 42 000 square kilometers. The river flows for 110 km through the Pervouralsk area and it has many feeders. The most important of them are the Talitsa, the Shaitanka, the Bilimbayka, the Makarovka, the Bitimka, the Cheremshanka, the Chornaya, the Shishim, the Utka, the Kamenka, he Sibirka, etc. The Chusovaya is unique in one way – it flows through two continents (Asia and Europe). It takes its source on the East slope of the Ural mountain range, crosses it and finishes in its West slope.

 

 

It is most likely that the river gets its name from mangled Komi-Permyak words, possibly from Udmurt language, where “chus” means “brisk” or “quick”, while “va” means “water”. Now it is pronounced and written “Chusovaya” however one day it was most likely pronounced as “Chusva”. What about the meaning of the word “chus”? In modern Komi-Permyak language there is no such a word, but it can be found in the river namess of the Komi-Permyak national area like North Chus or Midday Chus. An Udmurt word “chus” means “brisk” or “quick”. Thus the Udmurt word “chus” really suits the river, as it is difficult to find a quicker and brisker river in the Urals. There are not so many rivers, which cut a watershed, while the Chusovaya flows along and across the Ural mountains.

The years passed by and the word “chus” was forgotten in Komi-Permyak language, however it remained in Udmurt language and in such hydronyms as the Chusva (the Chusovaya) and the Chus. But why in the first case it has the ending “va” (the Chusva) and in the second it does not and the name is pronounces simply the Chus? This hudronym has been known to Russian people since the XIV centure, it became a Russian word and as a result it preserved the ending “va”. In the same time, the names the North Chus and the Midday Chus were used by the people speaking Kini-Permyak language and the part of the word “va” was omitted. As a result, the meaning of the adjective “chus” was forgotten and it became an incomprehensible toponym, There are many cases like that in toponymy.

 

For many centuries the Chusovays has been serving people, it was first mentioned in chronicles in 1396. The development of the river began in the XIV century. In 1558 the Stroganovs, rich merchants, were given a letter of the star Ivan IV giving them the exclusive rights “to use in perpetuity” the vast territory including the source of the river, upper and middle flow of the Kama and its feeders and also the territory of about 20 km along their banks.

language there is no such a word, but it can be found in the river namess of the Komi-Permyak national area like North Chus or Midday Chus. An Udmurt word “chus” means “brisk” or “quick”. Thus the Udmurt word “chus” really suits the river, as it is difficult to find a quicker and brisker river in the Urals. There are not so many rivers, which cut a watershed, while the Chusovaya flows along and across the Ural mountains.

The years passed by and the word “chus” was forgotten in Komi-Permyak language, however it remained in Udmurt language and in such hydronyms as the Chusva (the Chusovaya) and the Chus. But why in the first case it has the ending “va” (the Chusva) and in the second it does not and the name is pronounces simply the Chus? This hudronym has been known to Russian people since the XIV centure, it became a Russian word and as a result it preserved the ending “va”. In the same time, the names the North Chus and the Midday Chus were used by the people speaking Kini-Permyak language and the part of the word “va” was omitted. As a result, the meaning of the adjective “chus” was forgotten and it became an incomprehensible toponym, There are many cases like that in toponymy.

 

 

For many centuries the Chusovays has been serving people, it was first mentioned in chronicles in 1396. The development of the river began in the XIV century. In 1558 the Stroganovs, rich merchants, were given a letter of the star Ivan IV giving them the exclusive rights “to use in perpetuity” the vast territory including the source of the river, upper and middle flow of the Kama and its feeders and also the territory of about 20 km along their banks.

The History of the Chusovaya River

 

The Chusovaya River is one of the most beautiful rivers of the Urals. The travelers swimming along the river enjoy the views of peculiar cliffs, quick rifts, quiet river reaches, thick forests, sunny meadows and small villages.

 

The Chusovaya River is a left feeder of the Kama, one of the largest rivers of the Urals. It is 700 km long. The square of the river basin in 47 600 square km.

The largest feeders of the Chusovaya from Kourivka Village to the Chusovoy town are the such rivers asthe Darya, the Sulem, the Mezhevaya Utka, the Serebryanka, the Silvitsa, the Koyva.

 

There are quite large industrial towns in the upper part of the Chusovays. Some of them are Polevskoy, Revda, Pervouralsk, Cusovoy and Perm.

In the middle part of the river, there are comparatively small settlements and villages.

 

The bottom of the Chusovays is mainly covered with pebbles, in some places there are large stones forming rifts.

 

The river gets its name from mangled Permyak word “Chus-va” – “Quick water”.

 

The Chusovays has all the characteristics of a mountain river. It has a narrow valley, abrupt banks, the circuitous course of the river and long reaches.

 

The depth of the river in the reaches reaches 2-4 meters, the river average flow rate is about 4-5 km per hour (2-3 km per hour in reaches, 6-8 km per hour in rifts). The width of the river is from 30 to 150 meters. The river fall is about 37 cm per 1 km.

 

The ice-drift begins at the end of April and it is quite long. The water level makes 3-4 meters.

 

During the summer, the river gets shallow. From the end of July to the beginning of August the depth of water in rifts is about 7-15 cm. In autumn rains get the water level much higher. In November the river freezes.

 

The Chusivaya is rich in fish. There can be caught a wide variety of fish such as perches, minnows, ruffs, pikes, ides, chubs, breams and graylings.

 

The warmest month in the Chusovaya is July. In the daytime the temperature can reach 25-30 degrees.

However the precipitation is high too, it reaches 70-90 mm.

 

 

 

 

 

Historical reference

 

In the 16th century the Stroganovs, rich merchants, the owners of solteries on the Kama river, set up the first salt business at the Chusovaya River. In 1568 by the order of Ivan the Terrible the lands around the Chusovaya from its source to its flow were given to Iakov Stroganov.  Soon the new owner founded lower-Chusovays settlements, which became the outposts of colonization.

In the 18th century, the Ural region became famous for its rich ore deposits. Peter the First sent to the Urals Nikita Demidoff, a blacksmith from Tula (Peter the First called him simply Demidich and gradually it became the surname of this master of metallurgy and smithcraft). The metal smelt at the Demidoff plants branded “Sable” would not disgrace the famous Swedish iron.

 

The Chusovaya was the only traffic artery connecting the Urals with the central part of Russia. For almost 200 years it played a crucial role in the economics of the region.

For all the winter iron, furs and bread were brought to the river quays. Many of them served as dockyards in the same time. Usually during the winter period one or two families built a boat made of a hundred years old pine trees. The boat was usually 35-40 meters long and 6-8 meters wide with the carrying capacity of 200 tons. Every boat had a special passport.

 

In spring the river became crowded. The hobblers came on foot to the river from Vyatka, Kazan, Ufa provinces.

When the boat was finished it was necessary to float it our (push it into water). The process was called “Spishka” and thousands of people took part into it. It was a real celebration.

The boats were loaded afloat. The period of flood is short here thus the work continues all round the clock. The ice of the river was broken, water was discharged from the ponds. The level of water reached 3-4 meters.

After the ice drift  finished the boats began to float. It was hard. High flow speed of the river, its twists, bank cliffs, rifts and hidden rocks made the floating extremely dangerous.